-Sponsored significant, proactive and people oriented bills
-Doled out N2.6 Million for 130 Youths as Business Support Fund
The activities of the leader of the Akwa Ibom state House Leader and member representing Oruk Anam state Constituency, Rt. Hon. Udo Kieran Akpan has been rated high by pundits within and outside his constituency. Rt. Hon. Akpan is a two term member of the Akwa Ibom state House of Assembly and also represents the home local government of the wife of the Akwa Ibom state governor, Her Excellency, Deaconess Martha Udom Emmanuel.
The former Akwa State leader of the Nigeria Labour Congress is the first Oruk Anam legislator to be voted in for a second term. In his first tenure between 2011 and 2015, he was the deputy speaker of the 5th Assembly and now the leader of the 6th state house of assembly. Rt. Hon. Udo Kieran Akpan’s performance in the legislative chambers has been notable. In fact as at June 2017 and as reported in the AKHA Mid-term Report 2017 (A publication of the Akwa Ibom House of Assembly), seven of the assented Bills in the House of Assembly were sponsored by Rt. Hon. Udo Kieran Akpan while he was also responsible for the sponsorship of 9 out of the 42 bills sponsored in a house of 26 members.
Below are so far some of the significant, proactive and people oriented bills sponsored by Rt. Hon. Udo Kieran Akpan:
- HAB 176: A Bill for a law establishing Akwa Ibom State Public, private partnership council. To facilitate and regulate partnership between the public and private sector in the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of infrastructure, goods and services in the state and for matters related thereto.
- HAB 175: A Bill for a law to establish Akwa Ibom State School of Technology for training of various healths professional in the state and for other matters connected therewith.
- HAB 193: A bill for the law to provide for prudent management of the state resources, ensure long term macro-economic stability of the state economy, secure greater accountability and transparency in fiscal operations within the medium term fiscal policy framework and the establishment of the fiscal responsibility commission to ensure the promotion and enforcement of Akwa Ibom State economic objectives and other matters related thereto.
- HAB 163: A Bill for a law to appropriate monies out the consolidated revenue fund and capital development fund to the service of Akwa Ibom state government and for matters connected therewith
- HAB 164: A bill for a law to make provision for the administration and collection of revenue due to the government of Akwa Ibom state and local government councils in Akwa Ibom state and to establish the relevant administrative.
- HAB 192: A Bill for a law to appropriate monies out of the consolidated revenue fund and capital development fund to the service of Akwa Ibom state government and other matters connected therewith
- HAB 172: A bill for a law to amend Traditional Rulers law 2000, and for other matters connected therewith.
- HAB 178: A Bill for a law to amend the local government (administrative) Law 2007 as amended and for matters connected therewith.
- HAB 178: A Bill for a law to establish the Akwa Ibom State Microfinance Enterprise Development Agency and for other matters connected therewith.
On the impact of Rt. Hon. Udo Kieran Akpan outside the legislative chambers, the house leader has in various capacities been of immense help to his constituency and beyond. He is known to regularly offer financial assistant to his constituents. In his first term, in addition to other empowerment packages, he donated more than 25 cars to selected members of his constituents. Recently in 2017 during his last constituency briefing, Akwa Ibom people witnessed Rt. Hon. Udo Kierian Akpan empowerment packages which among others was the formal training of Oruk Anam persons in the following fields:
- 16 constituents for computer training
- 11 constituents in motor mechanic/driving
- 13 constituents in aluminum fabrication
- 15 constituents in welding/fabrication
- 4 constituents in photography/ filming
- 8 fashion/ Designing
- 4 in carpentry/ Upholstery
- 2 Generator repairers and 1 Barber
He also during the constituency briefing and empowerment donated the following empowerment packages to constituents:
- 13 Mini Buses for 13 persons (One per Ward)
- 2 Mini Buses for Women co-operatives
- 28 Motorbikes for 28 Youths
- 6m for 130 Women as Business support fund
- 6m for 130 Youths as Business support fund
- 6m for 130 students as Bursary
- N500,000 for PDP Chapter Executives
- N1m for PDP Ward Executives
- N1,215,000 First Payment to Trainers
- N945,000 Final Payments for Trainers
- 1300 wrappers for women (Including widows)
- 1 Generating set for the PDP chapter office
- 15 Computers/Printers
- 8 Motor Mechanic Tool Box
- 11 Aluminum Tool Box
- 8 Welding/Fabrication Machines
- 8 Generating sets
- 8 Hair Dryers
- 1 Video Camera
- 1 Barbing Equipments
- 8 Sewing Machines
- 4 Carpentry Tool Box
- 2 Tool Box for Generator Repairs
- 5000 (Five thousand) customized exercise books for Schools
- Canopies and chairs for business start up
Generally, Rt. Hon. Udo Kieran who is also the international president of Ati Annang and a Knight of the Methodist Church has in addition to other stakeholders been responsible for the growth, sustenance of peace and unity of the Peoples Democratic Party in Oruk Anam LGA. Despite his busy schedule, he is known to still find time to personally listen to his constituents and friends. He remains a leading light in Oruk Anam polity, the politics of Abak 5, the politics of Ikot Ekpene Senatorial district and of course the politics of Akwa Ibom state.